Tuesday, December 23, 2008

When You Could Have Lost It All...

You have no idea how glad I am that you're okay.
That we're okay.
In an instant, so much changed...
Suddenly, you weren't just my boyfriend.
You were the only thing to hold on to.

As I said, no good deed goes unpunished,
But it could have been so much worse.

And damn it, I'm so proud of the way you handled it.
You didn't fly off the handle.
You didn't swear or hit anything.
You didn't lose control.
You didn't panic.

You looked me in the eye and said, "I don't know what to do."

And you looked so human.
You faltered, stopped, and asked me how to handle it.
Your ego broke, if for only a moment,
And I saw that sometimes, you're not perfect.
And I love you for it.

One of the most important,
But often least noticed quality in someone
Is the way they handle a dramatic, stressful situation.
This is one of those limitless stress factors.
A situation where you had no control.
And you faced it the way you should have.

There's a lot of damage.
There are things to be taken care of,
People to call,
Arrangements to be made...
But there came good from this.

Upon impact, the only thing in my head was you.
The only thing I thought about was your safety.
And that if anything happened, I would be lost.
Dramatic? I'm sure.
Honest? Of course.

That split-second of doubt about your safety
Showed me how much you really mean to me.

And I do love you.

I always will.

No comments: